View Single Post
Old July 5, 2013, 03:09 AM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
deb98126 posted
One last question. If one was shot with alternating bullets in a Glock --solid lead then hollow point with lead shot--would that blow of a person's face?
The answer is almost certainly "no", but I'm a little confused with the question. "Hollow point with lead shot"? Are you talking about some of those specialty rounds like the Glaser ammo that is supposed to be awesome but hasn't actually proven to be better or more reliable than normal hollow-points? And it's very hard to find lead-bullet ammo for semi-auto calibers; those are mostly only used by hand-loaders who make their own super-cheap range ammo. And alternating lead and hollow-point ammo would only mean every other shot was less effective and damaging than the other. Trust me when I say that if you have your character in the book use anything but JHPs (copper-jacketed hollow-points) your scene will scream "unrealistic" to anyone who knows anything about firearms.

Traditional modern hollow-point ammo is what police use, civilians use, and has proven to be the most reliable and effective in terms of stopping a threat. Books and movies always act like there are better, more effective rounds out there that only the government and bad guys use, but there aren't. The military uses full-metal jacket ammo (FMJ), but only because the Hague Convention forbids them from using more effective hollow-point ammo.

Here's some good rules to use in the scenes in your book: Guns don't knock people down or make them fly back, and they almost always cause a lot less visible damage than you think they will.

Quote:
JohnKSa posted
One other thing. A .40 caliber Glock would likely be a civilian weapon--one used by law enforcement (FBI/police/DEA/etc.) or by a private citizen. I'm not aware of any militaries that issue Glocks in that caliber. So if your terrorist is being shot by a soldier, you'll need to explain why he would have a gun/caliber combination that's not typically issued to military personnel.
I've heard that many special forces units have been known to use Glocks, and specifically Delta Force uses Glock 22s, but I have no first-hand knowledge of that.

Page generated in 0.03724 seconds with 8 queries