View Single Post
Old March 10, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Winchester_73

Colt 1911 function problem

Recently I bought a 1943 Colt 1911A1. I ended up changing out some parts, and now when the trigger is pulled with dry firing, the hammer does not always fall all the way down. It often gets caught in the half cock notch.

When I got the gun, I noticed that it had a 1911 short beavertail grip safety, so I changed that. Then I found out in its SN range, it should have a wide spur hammer (from the Poyer book), so I bought one of those. I then had the sear spring engaged improperly, during a re-assembly, and broke it. So I went to my 1911 parts box, and pulled out another sear spring. Now, after all of those changes, the hammer falls to the half cock notch approx 30% of the time. I have not fired the gun.

What is likely the culprit here? What should I look for on the parts IE alterations? The parts looked like GI stuff that had light wear, to my eye.

The gun is pretty nice, and the slide matches the SN. It has a light spot of pitting on the slide, and a few spots on the front strap, but I got it for a very fair price.

Page generated in 0.03332 seconds with 8 queries