View Single Post
Old February 18, 2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Moloch

Quote:
I thought this was a little strange. I looked up SAAMI specs on .44 mag, and the spec for a rifle is NOT the same as a pistol. Pistol spec is .429, rifle is .431
Why is that? Why are all the new lever evolution bullets .429 and .430 then? I thought they're made for lever guns? Odd.

He hasn't slugged the bore yet, but he said that he gets .431 with his caliper. Looks like at least the .429's are undersized, but shouldn't a strong load bump up the .430's to .431?

Quote:
I think the first thing you should do is pull down a couple of those factory loads and measure the bullet diameter. As others have mentioned, the Rossi barrels are frequently reported to be a little on the large size.
Maybe a very kind member here has a few of those Winchester White Box 240's and can measure the bullet diameter? That would be most helpful.

Seems like getting a custom mold is the only option, which is pretty bad as the owner of the gun wanted to shoot jacketed bullets through his gun. (he doesn't want to deal with the lead fouling at bullet speeds in excess of 1500)

Oh, I almost forgot to thank you guys for all the extremely helpful replies. Thanks! I love this place.

Page generated in 0.02107 seconds with 8 queries