View Single Post
Old January 24, 2007, 03:51 PM   #1
KuAlii

The Unknown TRISTAR 12GA SEMI-AUTO

My wife recently purchased the TriStar 12ga semi-auto (3", 28" barrel) Synthetic for me as a gift. I am very thankful, but I wished that she had just given me the money. As you all know, there's not much info out there regarding this shotgun. Since this is not the Semi-Auto 12ga that I really wanted and the fact that TriStar offers a 5 year warranty, and the fact that it was free, I plan on working this shotgun to its fullest to see how it actually holds up (both at the range and in the field).

Various quotes from TriStar's website:

TriStar Semi-Automatic Shotguns - Quality Shotguns with lots of Standard Features…"want a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with guts, one you can take into the field or the brush knowing it's not going to let you down. One that's tough, hard-working and always performs. The TSA Series combines world renowned Italian design with old-fashioned American personality, resulting in a good looking and durable shotgun you can depend on. And best of all, this built-in fortitude is extremely affordable."

TSA SYNTHETIC & SYNTHETIC MAG…available in 3" (12 and 20-ga.) or 3.5" (12 ga.) This model has exactly the same features as the Field, but comes with a tough, non-glare, flat black synthetic stock and forend. It's a gutsy shotgun that's virtually indestructible.

I am not sure actually which model I have as TriStar's website and the shotgun manual does not provide specs. TriStar's website list the shotgun as "TSA SYNTHETIC," or "TSA SYNTHENTIC YOUTH," but the shotgun that I have has "Zeus Magnum" engraved on the right side of the receiver. I am currently awaiting an email response from TriStar to find out if I have an older model, or a 2007 model.

TriStar, North Kansas City, MO is listed on the barrel, which would make someone think that they are the manufacture of the shotgun. I am still conducting research on TriStar shotguns, but I do know that this shotgun is in fact imported. It also shows "Made in Turkey," on the barrel. Spoke to a local dealer yesterday who told me that if its made in Turkey, it’s a so-so kind of gun. My take on it is…you get what you paid for. I didn’t ask him what kind of problems he had ran into or heard of. My bad. If you run a search on the forum under "Tristar" you will find detailed postings with information regarding the Rizzini family (makers) and American Arms, now TriStar Arms.

My Shotgun feels to be sturdy and looks well made. The same local dealer also felt the same after he inspected the shotgun. Remember, he's the one that told me that these shotguns are "so-so." Confused. I should have asked him if he could tell me what he would compare it with, since he's around various brands of shotguns all day. Dangit. Next posting.

As I was disassembling the shotgun to clean it (and lightly oily it down) before I put some rounds through it, I noticed a lonely o-ring sitting at the bottom of the box. I quickly focused my attention to the piston area thinking that the usual o-ring in that area (like most semi-auto shotguns) was missing. The o-ring (exact same size) was in place. Now I'm thinking, what's going on? Is TriStar trying to send a message? Is this the week link? I am currently awaiting an email response from TriStar since I have no idea what this is for. The schematics in the manual are not detailed and it only has a listing for one o-ring (piston area).

Testing time. With some friends, we drove up into the mountains, and took turns wasting and clearing various evasive/none native trees, and fired about 50 rounds of cheap Win 2 ¾ with no problems. After this and a bunch of smoke breaks, it started to rain very hard. The friends wanted to leave but I wanted to leave when this thing failed. Please remember, my goal was to test this puppy out and see what it could do. We shot an additional 30+ rounds (estimated) with no problems. After a quick break I needed to quickly clean some mud off and out of the shotgun. Yup, the unloaded shotgun slipped off the hood of the jeep. I was a little pissed at "someone" (no names, in case he's reading this post) but I kept telling myself…"test this puppy out." After the cleaning, etc, I had trouble pulling the bolt back. I unloaded the shotgun, used some man-force on the bolt, racked it about eight times until I had free movement, reloaded and banged off what was in the mag. Other than the brief bolt issue, I had no problems.

We had a lot of fun and I'm starting to thing that I may have something good.

Page generated in 0.02559 seconds with 8 queries