View Single Post
Old March 2, 2009, 10:23 PM   #25
goredsox

Unlike the times of our fathers and grandfathers, we're actually looking at a much weaker and less dynamic industry. R&D budgets have been slashed, the barriers to entry for new manufacturers are high (nearly impossible to start a new venture and be able to pay the salaries of a half dozen attorneys on day 1 of operation), and consumer demand has weakend with the decline in participation in shooting sports.

I think the remaining U.S. firearms manufacturers are simply trying to diversify their product set with "tried and true" options as means of long-term survival. Even the healthiest of them (financially) are at risk with the volatile fluctuations that occur with every new piece of legislation and our legal system.

Mossberg is smart to branch out beyond shotguns (as are S&W and Ruger with their recent product line expansions). The balancing act is how to do it without hurting your reputation, as overextending yourself will show in product quality and lower customer satisfaction. While also paying very close attention to ROI.

Thus, whether from Mossberg or anyone else...the most logical place to launch the product lines that will keep their companies afloat is in the broadest possible segments at the lowest possible price-point. Did Remington launch a new&improved 700? No, they've launched 710, 770, 700 SPS. Ruger trims it's stock and changes out the trigger assembly and it's a big party and new product line. Even this 464 wouldn't have grabbed my attention were it not for the added value of the new Hornady LEVERevolution ammo.

Ultimately, look at it this way...the 464 gives us something slightly more interesting to debate on these boards other than all of the other sameness about "latest and greatest plastic-stocked, tack drivers initially offered only in 270 and 30-06, blah blah (yeah, I know Mossberg did it too)" :-)

Page generated in 0.03086 seconds with 8 queries