View Single Post
Old July 6, 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Nnobby45

The record of low recoil tactical 00 buck on the street has been excellent.

Any reduction in velocity is more than made up for by Federals' plated shot, faster follow up shots, and tighter patterns.

Federal has now introduced their FliteControl wad into their Tactical Buckshot. What that means is that the choke no longer determines pattern tightness. The wad does. As in MUCH tighter patterns.

At 10 yds there is no patter, at 15yds patterns are 4" in diameter. At 25yds all shot is contained in about a 7 to 9" circle. This from my Scattergun Tech cyl bore.

Even Tactical buck without FliteControl shoots tighter than full power buck.

Also, low recoil slugs are not bad to shoot, either. Full recoil slugs thump me pretty good. Of, course, I'm in my 6th decade and shotguns beat me up like they didn't used to if I try for long shooting sessions. For SD, 1300 fps works just fine as testified to my many LE agencies, but if one prefers the full power 1550fps stuff, that's ok with me.

I've tested all the above, and also full power buck. The full power stuff blows patterns out noticeably more than the low recoil ammo. Not an issue in doors at very close range, perhaps. But faster follow shots could be useful.

Easiest to shoot is low recoil Win. Ranger with lead shot. It produces good patterns tighter than full power stuff, but not as tight as FliteControl ammo.

Hornady Tap also uses lead shot, but also uses the FliteControl wad.

Page generated in 0.02155 seconds with 8 queries