View Single Post
Old July 13, 2012, 06:02 PM   #15
BigJimP

" ... Do you really do new load development every time you crack open a new jug of (Varget or whatever) because there might be a tiny lot variation?...."

Yes, I really do ...but it isn't that big a deal ( and I reload from 8 lb kegs ) so it isn't like I'm opening a new 8 lb keg every month...in fact, since I use one powder now for all my handgun loads in 9mm, .40, .45acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44mag ( Hodgdon Universal ) ....an 8 lb keg will probably give me about 200 boxes of handgun ammo ( depending on how much 9mm is part of the mix / and its a lot ).

I just load a partial box...5 rounds at min, go up 0.1 grain and load 5 more, etc until I get to 0.1 grain below published max....take them to the range and test fire them...see how they feel / any changes in accuracy --- and a box of my previous loads....see if there is any difference.

I probably open a new 8 lb keg of Universal about every 4 - 6 months...and I just do my "load checking" ...on whatever handgun caliber I'm loading at that time ...( 75% of the time, I shoot 9mm or .357 mag ) probably.

Page generated in 0.04246 seconds with 8 queries