View Single Post
Old December 20, 2001, 08:05 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Old smith buddy once told me he's seen worn out 500s, but not many. I've seen dinged up turnin 500s that fired fine,including one I owned briefly. I sold it for other reasons than thinking it was junk, BTW. It wasn't.

I doubt that either alloy or steel, given good design and construction, will wear out under normal conditions in one lifetime. Heavy use, like dedicated Gamer guns, may see the steel frame hold up a lot longer.

If you shoot more than say, 200 rounds a month, year in and out, a steel frame may be the better choice. Or, just reconcile yourself to buying a new 500,1200 etc, every decade or so.Cost per use is very low either way.

Adam, on 870s, according to Kuhnhausen, wear shows up on the bolt lug and notch in the bbl extension. New parts rectify this.IOW, an 870 receiver is well nigh immortal. Some 870 hammers peen slightly, and I may have to replace the one on my TB in a few years with a better hardened one. Right now, the only sign of the 4000 or so loads I've put through it in the last year is wear marks on the mag tube, action bars, and a super smooth finish on the bearing surfaces of the shell holders.

Page generated in 0.02467 seconds with 8 queries