View Single Post
Old August 8, 2006, 06:37 PM   #11
azurefly

Quote:
no, run or resist. if i shoot my odds of a life ending are very great. if he shoots and i'm moving or hitting him the odds of me taking a pellet to the temple or eye are very slim. you have a responsibility to prevent the loss of life when possible.

Once again, we are back to, "Why is it a big deal to a law-abiding citizen that the life of a criminal attacker may have to end in order to safeguard the life of the law-abiding citizen?"

Sure, I've never taken a life before, so I can't say 100% how I'd feel if I ever did. But at this moment, I don't think that I'd be likely to feel terribly bad about having to end the life of someone who threatened mine.

I don't care about the "odds" of me taking a pellet to the temple; that is not exclusively what I'm going to use to consider my course of action. I am much more concerned about the ramifications of getting hit, which could include anything from a painful, infected wound, to loss of vision or loss of life.

The "odds" of me needing the fire extinguisher in my house are not very high, but I still have it. The same goes for the odds of needing my seat belt to save me in a car crash. I wear the seat belt because of HOW BAD the results could be for me if I didn't. By your standard, one might say I had wasted the time and effort by wearing my seatbelt on every car trip since about 1983 or so, because I've never been in a crash where it saved my life or kept me from suffering a grievous injury.

Forget about odds, I want to know about potential for seriously harmful effects, even if the odds are 1 in 100,000.

-azurefly

Page generated in 0.02441 seconds with 8 queries