View Single Post
Old May 13, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2
603Country

I believe, but have never tried it, that you can use the highly concentrated Transtint liquid dyes to color BLO or a BLO/varnish/mineral spirits blend. I've got the wiping varnish and the straight BLO and the Transtint dyes, and I've always meant to try it, but haven't yet (in maybe 15 years of meaning to).

Woodcraft sells the dye in about a dozen shades. I use it a lot in water based dyes and have used it in alcohol based dye blends. You can call Woodcraft and ask about blending the dye into wiping varnish.

If you want to give it a try, go to the Container Store and get 4 to 6 of the smallish to medium sized see-thru high quality wide mouthed plastic bottles that they have and do your blending in the bottles. What you don't use will last for years. And may I suggest that you label the bottles with the exact blend mixture before you forget how much of this dye and that dye you mixed in. You'll measure the die added by counting drops of it. My favorite Walnut colored dye is just absolutely perfect, and I have no clue where the data I have is on what went into the blend.

You can do the dye application using the Transtint by mixing in distilled water and then add the wiping varnish later. That's how I do it. Be warned that the water based dye blend looks like crap and sort of dull when it dries, but again looks great when the oil finish soaks in. Try it on scrap wood first. You can use Mineral Spirits to wipe on in place of the oil finish, if you just want a good quick glimpse to see how it'll look when the oil hits it.

If you use the dye with water, it will raise the grain, so raise the grain first with plain water a few times and sand off the whiskers before you put the stain on.

Page generated in 0.03768 seconds with 8 queries