View Single Post
Old June 22, 2005, 10:07 PM   #22
gak

Bullrock, you'll love the Vaquero - primarily for its rugged construction and ability to take "any" load. (I cannot speak for the new model). Yes it is a little on the large-ish side, but that's only in comparison with the SAA and if not an issue with you comes in its favor again with hot loads. I prefer the 5.5" for balance, as I have that in a stainless .44 Mag and is the "least" version I'd get for that--as with medium to full-house loads even the Ruger's a handful (I still prefer the shape of the regular grip (mine) over the Bisley, but see the practical merit of the B grip). I always thought Ruger (since - esp in the old model Vaquero - is not an "exact" SAA replica to begin with) should make the Blackhawk's 6.5" barrel length available as a nice longer-intermediate length (in addition to the 5.5), esp for the .44 Mags and hotted up .45 LCs...that much more weight up front to control muzzle flip. If I had the jingle would seriously consider having a custom one made and that would be the ultimate Vaquero. But for now, I'm happy with my 5.5 and find that length to be the best overall utility, balance (including IMO aesthetically), handle-ability, etc., , in all SAA formats as well--best of all worlds. That said, for historic nostalgia in part (was the most popular length in the days of the Old West), the 4-3/4" (4-5/8 for Ruger) is also the most popular among the SAA/Ruger types, esp with the CAS crowd. It is a good handy size--just a handful with hot .45 loads and certainly (with Rugers) in the .44 Mag.

Forgot to mention (vs non transfer bar'd SAA clones and of course the real article itself) -- the Ruger gives you a full 6 in the cylinder.

Page generated in 0.02309 seconds with 8 queries