View Single Post
Old September 9, 2013, 08:37 AM   #26
Olympus

Re: New to 1911 world.

Man there sure is are whole lot of opinions here. I hope the OP realizes this.

I shoot 1911s exclusively. I either own or have owned almost every single manufacturer at one point. I have a LOT of 1911 experience. If $800 is the maximum budget, it will be hard to find a Colt for that price. In a Colt, the Gold Cup and Combat Elite are my favorites. I find it funny that someone commented about the Kimbers having a Schwartz safety. Truth is a vast majority of current production 1911s have them. Not just Kimber. Colt has them as well.

Sig Sauer has probably the best bang for your buck in the $800 range. They are loaded with features like front strap checkering, night sights, target sights, bobtail models, etc. They make a fine mid-level 1911.

The Springfield Armory Range Officer is also a substantial contender in your price range. I sell them new for $750. So you can easily very one under $800. It's a competition-ready gun right out of the box.

People like the Ruger and are paying insane premiums for them, but there's no way I would pay more than $675 for them. At that price, they are easily the best option. But pay any price over that and my opinion is there are much better guns available.

America Classic really doesn't fit when you start comparing them to $700-$800 guns. The commander and officer guns were problematic when they first came out. Hopefully they've got the bugs worked out. These are more of a budget-minded gun. No comparison to $800 1911s.

Same with Rock Island. I've owned close to 10 different ones. Their quality is extremely hit or miss. I've had to send over half back for warranty work. They are definitely a budget model and no comparison to an $800 gun.

It would be difficult to find a Kimber for $800 or less. Maybe a Custom 2. I have 2 Kimbers and was impressed with both. Problem is you only get a 1 year warranty. So used guns will not qualify for a warranty likely.

Page generated in 0.03966 seconds with 8 queries