View Single Post
Old January 8, 2006, 02:24 AM   #39
Optical Serenity

Quote:
XavierBreath, that is perhaps the best post in summarizing the incident I have seen.

To those who have questions about the responding officers conduct or language, please try to understand--and definitely remember this:

We, as cops, have two calls that make our hearts plummet, and will make us drop anything and EVERYTHING to respond. These two calls are "Officer needs assistance", and Officer DOWN".

Here's why: We know that we function beyond the reach of immediate help in most circumstances, with the noteworthy exception of the good folks who will pitch in at a moment's notice. When we hear these calls, we become filled with a single purpose, and that is to get to our brother--or sister--officer's side. It doesn't matter if you are a city beat cop, a county mountie, a state trooper, US Marshal, feeb or MP--or guess what--even a private Security Officer.

Engines spike up and run at the redline. Rubber gets left on the pavement. Lunches or meals hit the dirt post haste and drinks get thrown out the window. The only thing that matters is to help the officer.

And when we arrive, if an officer is down or hurt, if you are anywhere near that officer, please have your hands in plain sight, and try to explain quickly what you are doing. Do NOT have anything like a firearm or weapon in your hands.

Because we are coming out of those cars like missiles; we are targeted on ANYTHING that may pose a threat to the fallen officer, and may God have mercy on anyone who even looks like they have hurt that officer, who does not respond immediately and fully to our commands.

In that case, playtime's over, folks.

Note: while we do respond at the same speed for "Crime in Progress" calls--especially violent crime--the thought of a good friend--or even relative--laying dying of homicidal violence just gets to you in a special way.

God bless all of those who stand in harm's way, and His blessings and mercy on the fallen.

AMEN! This is one of the best posts I have seen on any forum in a long time. God bless all the fallen officers, and God help the rest of us officers while we are wide open throttle to the scene.

Ever met a hero? I met a hero the day in police academy I watched this video. Want to see another scary situation, use the same link and watch the video of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller.

Every time I put my uniform on, I look in the mirror and remember that there are heros looking down on us everyday.

Its hard to watch these videos, especially as a police officer.

Ok, wiping the tears and going to bed.

Page generated in 0.03701 seconds with 8 queries