View Single Post
Old September 16, 2005, 12:49 PM   #82
Ben Swenson

Quote:
I want the sport to be based upon a nearly level playing field between the hunter and the deer.
That's absolutely preposterous.
There is nothing level on the hunting playing field. Nor should there be. A level playing field means mutual combat. A nearly level playing field would be hunting with a baseball bat and a dirtbike with a quarter-full tank (or better still a horse and tree limb). You don't do that and I don't know of a state that would allow that. No bow, rifle or shotgun has any equivalent defense in nature other than hiding - which basic skill, blind luck and the law of averages can easily defeat.

You don't mean "nearly level playing field" at all. You mean "Butch level playing field." Rules, traditions and regulations - all decided by Butch.

And in your "nearly level playing field" where you really mean "not killing a deer every time you go out" wouldn't it mean that the better the hunter got, the fewer advantages he would be permitted to use? Not based on his comfort level or choice, but based on his skill level. Conversely, a poor hunter should - in your world with this balanced "nearly level playing field" - be allowed more drastic advantages (hunting over bait, spotlighting, whatever). Right?

Butch, I know what you're trying to say but you're also trying to make yourself out to be "fair" and the kind of guy who gives deer "a nearly equal playing field". Ain't so. You're a hunter. From the sounds of it, an ethical hunter. There is nothing "fair" about hunting - even ethical hunting - nor should there be. It is an inherently unfair sport where one participant may very likely end up dead. That is the nature of the beast.

For those of you still confused as to what Butch is trying to convey, let me translate.

He wants there to be a fixed level of difficulty for hunting that can be overcome with experience. He wants less experienced hunters to have a poor chance of getting a deer and more experienced hunters to have a better chance. Butch wants you to use "traditional" weapons, methods and technology. By this he means the weapons, methods and technology that he uses.

I'm still curious as to what makes Mr. Drury's camera system so much worse than asking someone familiar with a piece of property where the deer run?

Page generated in 0.03778 seconds with 8 queries