View Single Post
Old December 5, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1
arcticap

Loading Patched Balls in a Revolver?

This may have been asked before, but I'm still curious about it.
Has anyone ever tried to shoot a .433 round ball with a .010 patch out of a revolver?
I realize that it might not produce great accuracy, but shouldn't it seal the chambers well enough to prevent a chain fire?
A slightly thicker patch or another PRB combination might work even better, especially if the .433 round ball was cast using harder lead which would result in a slightly oversized round ball.
If the patch was lubed, would it swab or lube the bore at all, or would it separate before it goes through the forcing cone and have no positive effect?
One reason for asking is because it occurred to me that if folks had hard lead alloy on hand, that they could cast and load undersized ~.433 patched round balls as a cheaper alternative.
Bare balls don't shoot all that bad out of single shot pistol barrel at short range, maybe they would shoot okay out of a revolver too if the distance to the target was reasonable.
And using patches to seal the chambers would be cheaper than buying wool wads and less messy than sealing them with runny lube during hot weather.

Last edited by arcticap; December 5, 2008 at 06:39 AM.

Page generated in 0.02545 seconds with 8 queries