View Single Post
Old October 19, 2000, 07:52 PM   #5
snapperhead

Haha. Thanks for asking. First, we set it up ourselves and hunted exclusively on public land. However, I think the land owners would most likely let you hunt on their property. Along with the license and carcass coupon we were given a land owner coupon. It's worth $11 to a landowner if they submit it to the state. Great idea.

I'm waiting for pics to get developed. My partner is out hunting moose in eastern Idaho. He has the film. I wanted to tag along but I just had to go back to work. I hope to have some pics in a week or so. I'll post them and add links then. I'll also post a pic of the mount. I decided that I couldn't afford a head mount ($400) so I went with what my taxidermist calls a southwestern horn mount. That's basically the skull (less lower jaw) bleached with the horns. My hunting partners 17 1/2" Boone and Crocket antelope is mounted this way and hangs in the largest sporting goods store in town. Next year I plan on a much bigger buck (assuming no major winter kills) and will probably go for a full head mount.

I have eaten some of the antelope and I must say that it is awesome. It's more gamey than I expected but it just makes it taste better. The meat is tender and tasty. I just wish you could get more than 20-30 pounds off a decent buck. I do expect to fill the fridge with moose though.

If you are interested in huntin Wyoming I suggest you apply in an area with several hundred permits. Some friends have been applying for years in "trophy" areas and have never been drawn. This was my first try. Our area had 750 permits. Out of state applications get about 20% of the total number of permits. So, your odds are better.

Some specs if you're interested:

Calibers used: .243, 25-06, .280
License cost: $200 out of state. Going up next year.
Conservation stamp: $5
Camping: free
Average shot distance: about 200. We managed to get with 75 yards of some herds. Others never let us get closer than about a mile (they were in a great place with little or no way to sneakup on them).

snapper

Page generated in 0.03088 seconds with 8 queries