View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 01:58 PM   #5
MarkCO

You are probably on a good path. I will say competing in the Crimson Trace Midnight invitational changed a lot of my perceptions. I went from no lasers to several pretty much "overnight".

Most everyone trains and shoots in full light with a little dark-house or night work with a white light. We tend to look at the AR as a stand alone tool when in fact it should be part of a complete system.

That white light needs to be stunningly bright...BUT we also need a detached reduced light level, like 40 lumens or so, for some tasks. Many LEs don't consider or have this option and only a point my light and my muzzle at you option.

Then you have suppressors, which are greatly underutilized by LE. You tell me I am going into a house with a 14.5" carbine, but no you can't use a suppressor...ever heard of OSHA? CLEAR violation if you are subject to Fed OSHA.

I'd look at an SBR (or pistol with a SIG cuff), 10" barrel or so in .300BO with the capability of both subsonic suppressed and supersonic from the same weapon. A low level LED on the bottom of the handguard, a laser, a bright white light and Irons. This set-up will do anything needed in the Urban environment. Yes, that might be pushing the envelope a bit, but I built up about this weapon and my entire family, from a 9 year old to my wife to myself were able to increase hit percentages in a variety of environments over my prior HD AR which was pretty close to what the OP presented.

Page generated in 0.03502 seconds with 8 queries