View Single Post
Old September 19, 2005, 10:39 AM   #9
TimRB

"In the early part of WWI, machine guns were fired right through the paths of airplane propellors--almost always with no damage to the propellors! because the bullets were moving so much faster."

Well... Actually in the very early days of firing through the propellers, bullets *did* routinely hit them, and the aviators quickly figured out that they needed to do something about it. At first they applied armor to the props, but eventually synchronized their guns to fire at times when the bullets would not hit the prop.

As for rain affecting shooting, I did some math on that once and convinced myself that it's unlikely that a bullet will actually contact a raindrop while in flight, simply because there is so much space between the drops. The bullet travels fast enough that there is almost always a free path for it to follow from muzzle to target. I don't know what happens to the few bullets that *do* manage to hit raindrops, but I know that so far my personal best high power rifle score was fired in *pouring* rain. Maybe there's something Zen-ish going on...

Tim

Page generated in 0.02450 seconds with 8 queries