View Single Post
Old March 6, 2014, 03:01 PM   #55
fastbolt

Quote:
... my commander has 8+1=9. that should suffice for my needs without having to haul spare mags everywhere i go.
Magazines are one of the weak points when it comes to 1911-style pistols. Even the best mags need to be checked & maintained for proper condition & function of the parts. Cleanliness of mag bodies, weakened springs, worn followers.

I remember one day when one of the special enforcement guys issued a 1911 was running some range drills, having come in off the street/on-duty. At one point his primary mag (in the gun) experienced a stoppage, causing him to clear & rip the mag from the gun, going to a spare ... which also exhibited a stoppage. He went for his 3rd spare mag, but it had already been used and was laying on the ground. End of drill (out of mags & time).

He hadn't replaced his mag springs for a while. Those guns (issued 1911's) see usage for training every month (once a month), and they tend to eat recoil & mag springs. Probably doesn't help that they use +P loads, although they've changed from +P to standard pressure for most training, due to cost and amount of the amount of the training ammo they use.

Whenever I carry one of my 1911's, I carry a spare mag as much for being able to resolve any potential mag-related stoppage as for having spare ammo. I periodically inspect my 1911's as an armorer, too, and keep them sufficiently lubricated, and with good springs, etc. The mags get carefully inspected & maintained, as well. I've gone through more mags than I can remember over the years, as once they can't be kept properly functioning with parts replacement (mag bodies get too worn), they get tossed and replaced.

Page generated in 0.02454 seconds with 8 queries