View Single Post
Old May 19, 2013, 08:33 AM   #17
LewSchiller

Quote:
It would seem that just about any hobby that requires some amount of physical effort, patience and has any type of learning curve associated with it is on a down hill slide.
Interesting - and true.
When we were kids it took a long time to ferret out the item of you pursued. The hunt was most of the fun. Now you just hit the net and turn it up in 5 minutes.

So I did an experiment just now.

Back in the 70's I collected antique radios and a few TV's. The Philco Predicta was - and for many still is - the holy grail. That's the one where the tube sits on top of the cabinet and can be swiveled around. It took me about a year to find and buy one. I went over to eBay just now and found 4 for sale. A quick Google search turned up another dozen or more - and that was without really trying.

Kinda takes the fun right out doesn't it?

Another thing occurred to me...This came up over at AudioKarma.Com... Before you can have a nice home sound system you have to have a home.
When I was 22 I was married and had a house. None of my friends kids in that age bracket reflect that or are even close.

So now you take guys who come late to adult life - and who have no heritage or historical interest in firearms other than perhaps having one defensive weapon - and the result is no market.

The SASS people did it right. Create an entire universe that promotes the acquisition and use of SA Revolvers and period correct rifles.
Brilliant.
But what of all the other sweet guns that are out there? What do you do with your collection besides take one or two out to the range now and then?
For rifles I see an even more bleak future. I was really surprised that Project Appleseed didn't have a presence at the show. They needed to be there - and the vendors needed them there even more!

Last edited by LewSchiller; May 19, 2013 at 09:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries