View Single Post
Old March 11, 2009, 01:54 PM   #6
arcticap

I made friends with an old gent from my former muzzle loading club. He told me all about how he built up his small collection of antique guns back when they weren't all that popular or very expensive. He had become disabled and wheelchair bound the last few times that I saw him. One time was at a gunshow where he was trading in some of his guns because he couldn't really get out and shoot them anymore.
He had at least one original Colt revolver similar to yours which he had just sold to an antique vendor for a lot less than the $3000 price that was quoted above. I recall that the dealer was trying to sell it for about $1200 right after he had traded it in for about $800 cash or so.
Granted that was a few short years ago and the antique market has changed a lot since then, and that each individual gun has a different market value based on the selling venue among other things.
But he was the type that shot them and didn't just buy them for speculation.
And I know that he was disappointed about how much money he received for them, but he was a realist and knew that he wasn't going to get much more unless he tried to sell them himself which he just wasn't capable of doing.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes there's a considerable difference between what someone thinks an antique gun is worth and how much cash anyone will actually hand over for it, much like the difference between the wholesale and retail price for anything collectable.

Last edited by arcticap; March 11, 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.03305 seconds with 8 queries