View Single Post
Old December 4, 2010, 10:15 AM   #10
snuffy

Both of my lee pots are 800 watt units. My KW/HR is 0.1198. Since I figure the pot is on only about half the time I'm casting *, a 4 hour session might cost 50 cents. In that 4 hour session, I could cast 2,000 bullets using a six hole mold. If you want everything to have a price, you do the math, I just got up, the coffee hasn't worked yet!

As for lube, it almost has no cost. I weighed a 45/70 boolit before and after lubing. The lube weighed 3.0 grains! A 45 acp boolit with less that half as big a lube groove, and only one instead of 3 big ones, would be less that a grain.

As for the Lyman 450 sizer, what it cost 40 years ago, I don't know. It has since lubed 10,000+ bullets, maybe more like 20,000. I don't keep records that precise. Yes, you do have to buy dies and top punches when doing a new bullet.

Most of my bullets are tumble lubed, even the types that were meant to be lubed by a Lyman sizer. For standard loads in semi-auto handguns, it works just fine. I doubt you could figure the cost-per-boolit for tumble lubing. A bottle of lee liquid alox is $4.49 @ midway. That one bottle will lube a LOT of bullets, depends on how heavy you apply it.

I smelt using a turkey fryer and cast iron pot. The propane has a cost of around $20.00 a bottle/tank. I can smelt about 400 pounds of range lead or much more clean lead per tank. Figuring out cost per pound could be done, but I don't.

I've been lucky getting lead. I cleaned out an indoor range, the result was a TON of good bullet metal. A friend at work that knows I cast bullets, told me of a machine that had a huge lead counterweight had been scrapped out. The weights were 90 pounds each, and were nearly pure lead. I got 15 of them,,,,---- FREE!

You buy molds, accessories for casting KNOWING the bullets are going to be cheaper than you can buy. I don't have to know every penny I spend to get a usable bullet to know that. Even IF I could buy lead bullets like I use, I would still make my own. I have control over everything. I know the alloy, I choose the lube, I choose the sizing, shape, style, get the picture?

*Yeah, I know the element is on constantly when heating up, or when I add cold lead, but when it's up to temp, the on time is less than the off time.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02256 seconds with 8 queries