View Single Post
Old January 18, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Worst gun you ever owned?

This question was posed on another thread and got me to thinking. First of all, I go a long way back. As a kid, we could buy old top-break revolvers from second hand and junk shops, usually around $1.50 to $3.00. Many were old Iver Johnson, others unmarked. These guns were so near alike that parts usually were interchangable.

It was on these guns that I got my education on the workings of a revolver. We could replace a part or two, have a service station weld up worn frames, and make wooden grips, usually of pine or produce crates.
And blamed if we didn't get them into working condition. With .32 S&W or .38 S&W, the ammunition was forgivingly low powered.

It was not to be until I was about seventeen that I got my first real revolver, a Colt New Service in .45 Colt, though it was a rebored .455 Eley. Because of its age and service, it went sour on me pretty quickly, but having learned of the workings of revolvers, I was able to replace the part causing the problem.

Now, I look back on over sixty handguns I've owned over the years. Wouldn't trade places with anyone!

Bob Wright

Page generated in 0.03320 seconds with 8 queries