View Single Post
Old January 9, 2013, 11:28 PM   #19
nocturnal

Don't get me wrong, no disrespect for Giffords or Kelly...and I found what I was looking for:

video link included for all you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVgZuvmZPcg

I do not agree with their stances on high-capacity magazines, etc...but here is the source so that you all can judge for yourselves

Kelly: "I bought a gun at Walmart recently, and I went through a background check...why can't we just make it more difficult?"
Diane: "But the NRA would say that they (criminals, shooters, etc) can get them (firearms) illegally"
Kelly: "I don't agree with that, the Gun Lobby even opposes a gun purchaser being checked against the terrorist watch list."

This is something I do not like to hear...
When they use a "fact" that a six-rounds-fired-per-second gun was used at the Sandy Hook Elementary School incident, why don't they bring up the FACT that the guns used in said crime were illegally obtained by the shooter?

We all know that the media is a big part of people's everyday lives, and that the media groups cater to their backers...and not always the truth.
However; we also know that it reaches a lot of people that may be on the fence about gun-control issues. Those are the true swing voters, the ones that need a bit of gentle education...I feel like they may be the truly decisive factor in all this present storm of anti-gun vs gun.
In regards to upcoming legislature and elections we need to be encouraging and in many situations, patient towards those on the fence.

I know this message put out by ABC and Diane Sawyer reached many ears the other night. Let us be tactful as well as patient and we can use this as a good bridge of conversation to our friends and family that are on-the-fencers.

I am surprised by the quantity of responses here, keep up the good conversation. Let us steer this towards regarding the video source and possible ways to reach other people.

Again, let me encourage everyone to not use this opportunity to bash or throw mud at the opposition. That only worsens our uphill climb and discredits ourselves in the upcoming days/months/years.

Emotions are powerful motivators, just watch the video. It is tragic and very sad about what happened to Giffords however; I personally feel like she is being used as an emotional crutch in support of more legislature. And that may be the most sobering aspect of all.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by nocturnal; January 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.03125 seconds with 8 queries