Thread: De - Evolving
View Single Post
Old February 17, 2006, 01:43 AM   #25
Garand Illusion

Quote:
My brain will not stop a 40 cal. So--I carry
Actually ... a gun will not stop a .40 from piercing your brain. If you want proof, strap on your primary and bug and pepper spray and baton and whatever and stand still while I shoot at your head. As you will see, neither weapon will leap out of the holster to stop the bullet.

And there are several situations where having a gun got the bearer hurt worse:

That texas shooting where the firearms instructor charged out to engage the shooter with his .40 and was himself killed (shooter had on body armor). In this case having the gun got him killed, as without the gun he would have run away from trouble instead of toward it.

Possibly the CCW carrier who was nearly crippled in the Seattle mall shooting. He confronted the shooter and was gunned down. Would he have been hit if he had been unarmed and sprinted for cover or a hiding place? We'll never know, of course.

In the first instance the man who took a stand and attacked DID save the life of others, if not himself. And in the 2nd the man might have stopped an ongoing assault against innocents, and so he definitely did the right thing -- just trying to show that a gun doesn't make the bearer safer in all cases. And probably not in a majority of cases.

For me ... I try to carry a good percentage of the time. Especially if I'm doing something that might attract a BG's attention. It's doing my part to keeping society, and my family, a little safer. And most often it's not an inconvenience in Colo, so why not?

But I have to chuckle when I read some of the posts by the "sheep dogs" on this site who seem more sheep than dogs. i.e. people who won't use ATM's, go to a carwash or a 7-11 after dark, go downtown, etc.

I go wherever I want armed or not. From a general pov, I HOPE a BG will try something against a big and possibly armed guy like me rather than a defenseless older person or young woman or whatever.

And if I want a ho ho or a bottle of woohoo at midnight ... the fear of BG's is not going to scare me away from a 24 hour convenience store. If the unarmed 20 year old behind the counter has the guts to work there all night, I've certainly got the guts to drop in and pick up a snack.

Page generated in 0.02503 seconds with 8 queries