View Single Post
Old December 20, 2001, 08:00 PM   #4
canuck2

Carbine comments

No not for hunting, just want some offhand practice and missed my Marlins which I sold to buy benchrest stuff a few years back, used to do alot of light load plinking with 30-30. So a year ago I bought the M77/44 Ruger bolt .44 mag, thought I'd tune it and get some offhand practice...well I'm still tuning it 7-800 rounds later. First day out was "pie plate" at 50 yds from a rest. After 4 powders, 2 scopes, 3 bullets,tried shimming the action...still commonly getting 4" groups at 100yds from a proper rest with 6X scope and 2.5 lb trigger. Make 'em fit the mag and it's worse. Last thing I'm gonna try is a heavy crimp in the mag, someone posted heavy crimp was critical in .44 mag and my oldest Hornady bok mentions heavy crimp for .44 mag.

Should have posted this separately to whine about Ruger cause this M77/44 has a bum bbl.

So I figure the Marlin .357 will be a treat compared to above. I'm starting with a scope but plan to "peep" as soon as I know what she likes. I see my Williams peep from Marlin 336 won't fit it this 1894, saw the write-up on the Wild West (Alaska)rear peep...any other peeps please advise. Here in Canada I'm prob lookin' at mail order anyway, had to talk with the feds this AM just to buy a carbine then wait at store 1/2 hr for them to call back with OK!

As for the other reply well my cat is getting expensive with pills and vet visits etc. but so far it hasn't cut into my shooting and I love her so she's safe.

Page generated in 0.02419 seconds with 8 queries