View Single Post
Old December 23, 2013, 03:48 PM   #39
MadMetalManiac74

Quote:
has anyone checked the date on this thread. you are arguing a point that has been forgotten for 2 and a half years.

with all that said thanks to the guy that resurrected this zombie thread for the information, I had often wondered what the different linseeds did. I have always just used BLO on my guns. but I am a little confused. I have never seen a deep red on a US service arm before. every stock I've seen with the exception of a few 1903A3s have had the epitome of walnut coloring. some of those A3s which I'm guessing had birch stocks did have a redish coloring but nothing that I would call a deep red. to illustrate. here's a pick of a 1903A4 and a A4 copycat in an A3 stock.
lol yeah I saw the date but still felt compelled to leave an accurate reply. The fact is that it's still info that's "out there" and as I'm reading through this, I realize that nobody in here really understands te difference between the two.

Not all USGI stocks will exhibit this and some it's very hard to tell cause the tint is so faint that the oils from 50+ years of handling have darkened them more than likely. You won't see it as clearly on walnut as say birch. I've also seen walnut stocks that people have dubbed "big red" for obvious reasons. It depends on storage, handling wear, wood type, method of application, and time. If you google image for garands you'll see a bunch!

Page generated in 0.03366 seconds with 8 queries