View Single Post
Old August 24, 2012, 03:08 PM   #29
sigcurious

I agree with the general premise that an armed person should not cause alarm. However, there's a spectrum of what random people know about firearms. And I would suspect that most people who see a MP5 clone associates that image with a select fire weapon. There's a difference in cops being called on someone OC'ing a handgun, which they have no lawful reason to question, and in this case someone OC'ing something that they do have lawful reason(specifically in this case in OR) to stop the person.

OC activism definitely takes different flavors. I cannot categorically say that people who go looking for encounters with LEO are silly, but I would say that in most cases it brings attention to the cause in negative manner and does not serve the greater good. It's one thing to go about your business while OC'ing and have a recording device, it's another to go out specifically looking for an encounter.

I would be very surprised if the person making the film didn't think that the general perception would be that he was carrying a select fire weapon, and chose that specific model to attract attention.

I do regard situations with suspicion when I see LEO carrying something other than their pistols(whether it be rifle, shotgun or sub machine gun). Why? Because in most cases, they have them out for a reason, and that reason usually involves me not wanting to be in the area.

Page generated in 0.02562 seconds with 8 queries