View Single Post
Old September 30, 2011, 05:39 PM   #29
CapnJ

My apologies for the necropost, but I wanted to share two things about this thread:

One, I have bookmarked this thread in my favorites. The information is excellent, hard to find, and very very useful. Great thanks to Edward Horton for his contributions.

Two, the comments about 'toxic BLO' scared me silly! I've been hand-rubbing BLO into my rifles for some time, and the idea that I was inadvertently exposing myself and friends to toxic heavy metals was disturbing to say the least! I took Mr. Horton's advice and checked the MSDS for the brand of BLO that I used, "Crown". It is available here:
http://whatsinproducts.com/msds/9100...PHPSESSID=5259

To my relief, it contains only 100% boiled linseed oil. No toxins. I must have lucked out and got one of the 5% of American BLO's that do not use toxic heavy metals. Even better, it is only $8.00 a quart, produces a very agreeable finish, and is commonly available at Lowe's. I am posting this so that people who use BLO with less-than-confidence-inspiring MSDS contents will know of a safer alternative.

Page generated in 0.03807 seconds with 8 queries