View Single Post
Old September 15, 2001, 11:09 PM   #1
Dave R

Favorite Dove Recipe?

I got lucky. Now I need a good recipe. Help?

Best one I found with the "search" was a slice of jalapeno between two dove breasts, wrapped in bacon and grilled over mesquite. No mesquite here in Idaho

I just gotta tell ya, I had a "mini cast & blast" today.

First day of Chukar season, so I intended to go out early. Coupla days ago, I stumbled across a big flock near the informal range I like to shoot at. I was gonna hit 'em at first light.

Well, I slept in. I needed it. Then had to do the chores. A garbage bag and a half of weeding. Smog the cars. The old one wouldn't pass. Replaced plugs & plug wires, adjusted timing & mixture, changed oil while I'm at it, it passed.

I'm ready to head out at 5:30 but my sweetie says dinner will be ready in "a minute". Then I need to drop off the videos on my way...so I leave at 6:30pm. Worried not enough time to hunt, so I threw my waders & fly rod in the car.

Took the "new" Brazilian 20 ga double I picked up at a dutch auction. I'd never hunted with it, and I figured the odds of success were low, with so little time, so might as well take the "fun gun" instead of the serious 12 ga.

Well, I got to the informal range and there was a family shooting right where the flock had been. Bummer. So I headed up the road a little further, and decided to walk a promising stretch of wild sunflowers.

I took about 5 steps, and about 20 dove flushed. We never have dove here after the season opens! They head south! But there they were. Problem is, I'm too close to the road and they flushed toward the road. Shooting across a road is a no-no here.

More walking, and finally got a few to flush toward the hills, missed 2 shots. Bad pointing on my part.

Walked the other side of the road, hoping to flush the ones that headed there earlier.

One flushed toward the road, but it saw a car (leaving) and turned back toward me. Awrighty! A clean shot! Got it.

I was almost back to the car, and decided that's it for me.

'Course, on the way back home I stopped at the river and caught 3 trout just before it went completely dark.

I was home by 8:45.

I love living in Idaho.

Next on the list: more dove, and those Chuckar!

Page generated in 0.03522 seconds with 8 queries