View Single Post
Old October 26, 2013, 06:53 AM   #23
dgludwig

My grandpa was also born in the 19th century. He and his cronies used the word "ain't" when they meant "isn't". This little affront to "proper English" was committed under the mantle of colloquialism and in terms of what language is intended for-communication; it meant nothing. I and my peers, of course, grew up using the word "ain't" as well as many other deviations from accepted grammar and, though doing so didn't mean any of us were stupid, it did reflect negatively on our speaking smarts. Eventually, most of us went to school and learned how to talk and write intelligently. Using the language correctly didn't make us "grammar gurus" but it did make us better understood in terms of formal conversation.
I have no problem whatsoever with people (and not just "newbies") using the term clip when they mean magazine. Heck, as I acknowledged earlier, even some of the manufacturers do. And, yep, the guys I ran with back in the fifties and I loaded our .22s with clips too. But just because a term is used wrongly (if it in fact is) over the eons doesn't make it "right". And just because some people insist on using the correct nomenclature when discussing firearm parts in a forum that encourages open communication doesn't make them "natterers" and babblers". Callin' peoples names 'cause they don't agree with you jest ain't rite.

Last edited by dgludwig; October 26, 2013 at 07:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.03871 seconds with 8 queries