Manufacturer: Colt Model: 1878
Type: Double-barrel Hammer Shotgun
Gauge: 10
Barrel Length: 30 inch
Finish: Damascus steel/casehardened
Chambers: 2 ½ inches
Stock: walnut checkered
Length of pull is 14 3/8 inches
Class: Antique (shoots paper shot shells, Black Powder)

Description: "The Colt Model 1878 Double-Barrel Hammer Shotgun is considered to be the finest American double-barrel shotgun. Manufactured from 1878-1889, the Model 1878 Shotgun was the highest priced item in the Colt line and was available as a special order item." Mine is 10 Gauge with 30-inch barrels, blued; and a walnut stock. The receiver, side plates, hammers, trigger guard and forearm catch are case-hardened Damascus
steel. "Colt's Pt. F. A. Mfg. Co." is engraved in fancy script on the sides of the lock plates, below and slightly to the right of the hammers. The serial number, 18910, is engraved on the lower tang, and stamped on a metal
plate inside the wooden forearm. Mounted with a fancy grade checkered walnut forearm and stock...it ends with a black, hard rubber butt plate......... a small silver oval is in-laid about four inches from the base of the stock.
The stock and forearm have a dark brown luster, free of cracks or scratches.
I cannot see any pitting inside either barrel. I "guess-timate" at least 70%
of the blue remains on the barrel, triggers, lockplates, hammers, and tang.
Who should I contact to appraise this gun? How do I find paper black powder shot shells? (if I can verify that it is still safe to shoot it) Any gunsmiths' feed back would be helpful and appreciated!

Page generated in 0.03377 seconds with 8 queries