View Single Post
Old March 5, 2009, 09:24 AM   #24
Bartholomew Roberts

Tac Pro Shooting Center hosts a 3-gun match here twice a year. For one year, they introduced Simunitions into the match and did a bank holdup scenario similar to the one you are describing.

They had the robber standing in line at the teller's desk and when he got to the front he pulled a gun and robbed the place. Unknown to the people going through the scenarios, another of their fellow "customers" was actually a bad guy as well and watching the other guy's back.

IIRC, two people managed to even shoot the guy doing the initial robbery and I think one guy cleared the whole thing while only being hit in the arm. Everyone else "died" in that scenario except those that complied.

Keep in mind, these guys weren't actually at a bank. They knew there was going to be some shooting and they were waiting to do it. Their situational awareness could not have been any higher. Despite that, the only guy who was successful was the guy who acted immediately - he didn't pause at all. As soon as he saw the guy start to behave threateningly, he drew his pistol and shot him in the back of the head. In real life, going for your CCW when someone raises their voice might be an issue.

Now the lesson here isn't "Always comply" because that will certainly get you killed sometimes too. But it definitely impressed on me that those things rarely play out the way you would like them to on your little mental movie reel where you are the action hero. If I am going to bet my life on something, I am going to do my best to make sure the odds are in my favor and the prize is something worth my life.

Page generated in 0.02560 seconds with 8 queries