View Single Post
Old March 22, 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Mello2u

Quote:
Uncle Billy

"Stand Your Ground" op ed in the NY Times 3/21
Here's a link to an article in the New York Times yesterday (3/21/12).
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...round-law-says
Having read the article linked above, I conclude it is poorly written as it makes unfounded assumptions and lacks logical conclusions based on fact.

It seems that this incident is at a stage where the facts are still being determined. The Florida law does not seem to be flawed. Depending upon the provable facts of this situation that need to be presented, we currently do not know enough to decide who was the aggressor.

Was there a size disparity?
Who was the aggressor?
If Zimmerman was following Trayvon Martin, how much distance was maintained?
Did Martin close the distance or did Zimmerman?
I don't know enough to ask all the right questions.

I assume that under Florida jurisprudence, someone charged with a homicide who claims self-defense has the burden to prove the use of deadly force was justified. I tried to find the text of the law, but was unsuccessful. I looked at all of the Title XLVI Cimes, Chapter 790 Weapons and Firearms and did not find it.

While this incident does raise questions, they are as yet still unanswered. I can not judge with such a lack of facts.
" Frederic Bastiat

Page generated in 0.03498 seconds with 8 queries