View Single Post
Old July 5, 2010, 04:09 PM   #10
DG45

I ought to know this by looking at the sidehammers, but I don't. Is it a muzzleloader, or is it a breech loader that will shoot modern type shotshells?

I'd be hesitant to shoot a muzzle loader that had a damascus steel barrel. Mostly thats because I'm just too lazy to go through all the rigamarole that's involved with shooting a blackpowder muzzleloader. When you add the additional uncertainty of a damascus steel barrel to the equasion....

I might try a handloaded light black powder load in a damascus steel barrel if:

1. If the gun would accept RMC-type lathed brass shotshells, and if I could obtain the correct size shell need for the gun. I don't know if they would actually improve the margin of safety or not, but I feel like they give considerable extra strength in the chamber area. Probably won't help the barrel much though.

2. If the gun was checked out by a competent gunsmith beforehand and he found the barrels to be in reasonably good condition to shoot light BP loads in .

3. Even then I'd probably try the first couple from behind a tree while I pulled a string attached to the trigger, and I'd carefully examine the barrel for signs of trouble before trying another one.

Page generated in 0.03702 seconds with 8 queries