View Single Post
Old August 23, 2013, 01:23 AM   #21
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
BillCA, please tell me about the grips on the 19-5 you show in that picture. Not original to that revolver, are they? What's the Smith & Wesson "name" for those stocks and where did you get them?
You are correct. That M19 came with oversized checkered target grips with the thumb cut-out on the left side to allow speedloader clearance. These are older, smooth oversize "Presentation" grips by S&W. That's the name I've always heard them referred to as they are most often seen on guns in the wooden presentation boxes and commemorative pieces. They also happen to fit my hand best of all the S&W grips.

Here's the reverse side of those grips...

Both the target grips and the smooth presentation grips were made for all the frame sizes except the antique "M" frame (.22 ladysmith). It seems few people have actually seen or ordered the J-Frame grips though.

J-Frame smooth presentation grips on a Model 31-1

Oversize target grips on a J-Frame Model 63 - click to enlarge

And of course, we can't forget the N-Frame grips either.

Smooth N-frame presentation grips, shown on a nickel Model 58

Most of the wood on these grips is Goncolo Alves which I like better than most others. It's also known as Zebrawood or Tigerwood because the darker grain contrasts with the lighter color of the wood. Wood color varies from a dark, reddish color to almost orange. The grips on the M19 are closer to orange but the photos were taken indoors so they look darker. Here are the same grips installed on my Model 67 taken in better lighting.

Goncolo Alves can look spectacular with the right lighting whether they are smooth or checkered. These checkered target grips on a nickel Model 57 are spectacularly well grained, I think.

For anyone looking for the oversize style of grip and without the patience to wait for some to be available on E-bay or an auction site, check out Eagle's Heritage grips on their website (the link goes to S&W K&L frame grips. N-frame also available). Eagle grips lack the S&W logo, but otherwise look pretty good.

--Bill

Page generated in 0.03620 seconds with 8 queries