Thread: Priming Problem
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2001, 09:50 PM   #6
Big Bunny

There must be a reason for a longer rod. Slop in the shellholder or cup...or a metal fatigue problem. I had a fault on my LEE Autoprime and it was upgraded and the item replaced free of charge -they are really great people at LEE.
I have never used the Hornady priming tool, but the RCBS is too easy to damage and slow to change sizes IMHO.

An index finger is the best "deapth gauge" YT ! Cheaper too, but good luck to the entrepreneur involved!

A primer should be always "felt in" to the maximum, by hand is best -and Lee Autos are excellent for this without crushing or marking. Many of mine are well UNDER the case-head level and the 'extra wear on the primer pocket' worries me not one iota....malfunctions though do -a lot!

I have had only one primer problem in last 10 years from my reloads(but ex-mil ammo [in M95 Steyr] made in c1936 had a few though)and that solitary one was due to a spongy/badly mixed Winchester compression formed plastic hull in a 12GA hunting shotshell, allowing too much "flex" when hit by pin in a M120.Crow was alerted and missed.

Page generated in 0.02726 seconds with 8 queries