View Single Post
Old August 21, 2008, 08:04 PM   #8
LanceOregon

I am always amazed at how often people go out and spend big bucks on a really nice rifle, and then buy the absolutely cheapest low grade ammunition to shoot in it.

I once went hunting with a fellow who was new to varmint hunting, and he had invested in a nice Remington 700 VS varmint rifle and B&L 4200 scope. I had advised him on what type of ammo to buy to go marmot hunting.

However, when I met up with him in the field, I found that he had instead bought the cheapest Federal American Eagle 55 gr FMJ ammo. I was not happy and reminded him that I had told him specifically not to buy and sight in with such ammo, since we were going to hunt animals that often perched themselves on rocks, and there were homes nearby. I had specifically told him about hunting loads that used fragile bullets that would have no chance of ricocheting, and would also make far more humane kills.

When I asked him why he had bought the ammo, he told me that he got it because "it was on sale".

I should have wrote the fellow off then, but I unfortunately hunted with him a couple more times.

Page generated in 0.02003 seconds with 8 queries