View Single Post
Old September 16, 2009, 11:01 AM   #36
carguychris

Quote:
May need help validating this, but it'd be awesome if it was true. This is bulgarian surplus ammo, 149 grain, FMJ, and also claim to be non-corrosive. Berdian primed, not sure what that means.
All Eastern Bloc Berdan-primed surplus ammo is corrosive. Do not believe vendors who claim theirs is not. They are wrong.

FWIW a Berdan primer uses an ignition anvil on the case and a pair of offset flash holes to ignite the powder charge. They are common on European and Russian ammo. Boxer primers, the type normally used on Western ammo, have an ignition anvil within the primer, and ignite the powder charge through a single central flash hole. Boxer primers are easily replaceable if you handload your own ammo; Berdan primers are not. This is why lots of American shooters will pay a premium for Boxer-primed ammo.
Quote:
It isn't the cartridge or the rifle that is suited or not for coyote hunting. It is the shooter. A skilled and practiced hunter can eliminate many coyotes with a single shot .22 rimfire rifle.
+1. If you are new to shooting, you need a .22, because you can dump vast quantities of lead downrange for very little cash, and it will allow you to learn the fundamentals of position, trigger control, and breathing without having to simultaneously learn recoil management. Old military bolt-actions generally have very fierce recoil because they were designed to kill at ranges considered absurd by military planners nowadays (1,000m+), and the designers generally weren't very concerned with ergonomics and/or minimizing felt recoil. Small steel buttplates were the norm.

It sounds like you, the OP, like milsurps. Here's my advice. Czech out (ha ha) the CZ 413 Basic, CZ 452 Lux, and CZ 452 FS in .22LR, .22Mag, or .17HMR. These rifles look, feel, and function like a vintage Mauser military rifle, but they use inexpensive rimfire ammo that can be purchased anywhere, and you don't have to worry about rust, pitting, poor rifling, or cosmoline.

I love milsurps, but I use mine for blasting holes in stuff for fun; I would not use one for hunting. There are too many inexpensive modern Western centerfire rifles that are more accurate than any inexpensive milsurp, don't require value-destroying hacksawing or drilling to mount a scope or a recoil pad, and won't cause pangs of guilt if I gouge the stock on a fencepost. A Marlin XL-7, synthetic-stock Savage 11x, or Remington 770 will shoot circles around most sub-$200 milsurps while ingesting ammo that can be purchased at your local Wally World.

Last edited by carguychris; September 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.02576 seconds with 8 queries