View Single Post
Old December 12, 2011, 10:21 AM   #49
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJustice7
I might be driving in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Lousiana. Anyone know regarding those 3 states which have reciprical agreements with Texas as to whether those 3 states require presenting the permit and the license to the law officer?
The Arkansas statute reads as follows:
Quote:
(a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter may carry a concealed handgun.
(b) The licensee shall:
(1) Carry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and
(2) Display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
Ark. Code Ann. ยง 5-73-315 (West)

The way I read this, if you're carrying, you have to present both ID and your CCL to any LEO on demand. As a practical matter, however, many officers believe that if you have a CCL, you need to let that fact be known to the LEO know upon contact.

My personal opinion: I'd probably go ahead and mention it whether you're carrying or not. I'm not sure which states put CHCL information in NCIC, but Arkansas does. If I run an Arkansas driver's license through ACIC/NCIC, it will tell me if that person has their CHCL. That being the case, I know that if I'm stopped, the officer's going to find out about my CHCL, regardless of whether I inform him or her.

Another personal opinion: I think how you notify is every bit as important as whether you notify. There's a world of difference between:
a) saying, "Good evening, officer. Here's my ID and my CHCL. There's a pistol on my right hip. How would you like for me to proceed?" and
b) screaming, "I HAVE A GUN!"

Page generated in 0.03183 seconds with 8 queries