Thread: Slinging up
View Single Post
Old August 19, 2014, 06:08 PM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
It is so clumsy that one may just get himself killed before he can hit anybody.
Once one learns to property use the sling, and practices a bit, its not clumsy. It's comfortable and fast. Fast in and out of the sling.

Not always practical or useful in combat. If the soldier is spraying enemy in the wood line, enemy he cant see, there probably is no reason for using the sling. But if precision rifle fire is called for, it works.

The same thing can be said for the bipod, but extending a bipod is slower the "slinging up" and its not as flexible or adjustable to the environment.

I've always used the sling. Even when conditions called for it in combat. I still use it in hunting. I don't use bipods.

I was on a guided bear hunt where one of the assistant guides lectured me on the bipod vs sling. I didn't argue, but I didn't give up my sling either.

We were hunting the Bitterroot Wilderness area of Idaho. If you know the country its straight up and straight down. I was put on a stand 100 yards across a draw from the bail. Again straight up and straight down.

I had to dig out a spot to park my butt and two more spots to lock my heals to keep from sliding down the mountain. The sling was perfect in this situation. I measured the angles of the line of sight to the target and the slope of the hill I was setting on. I would have to have bipod legs about 6-8 ft long.

Ive never seen a place I couldn't use a sling. Seen several places I couldn't use a bipod.

I also use it in 3-gun. It is fast, in and out of.

Again, it takes learning to use the sling properly and practice.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02079 seconds with 8 queries