View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013, 06:13 PM   #5
steveNChunter

Whats the price on the rifle he found? New Howa's are about $400. You can usually find those S&W/Mossberg 1500's cheap because people often dont know their potential. They are a little heavy but that will work to your advantage in long range shooting. The barreled action is as others have already said, the same as a Howa 1500. The only real difference in a new Howa and the old S&W is the trigger. The new ones come with a two-stage trigger and a 3-position safety that allows the bolt to cycle without the safety in the "fire" position. I bought a new Howa last year in .25-06 and once I found the right factory load for it (Federal Fusions), it shoots consistent 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I'm sure I could do better with handloads. Im not sure what kind of stock comes on those older S&W 1500's but it may not be the best for accuracy. Also the older style trigger on those guns isn't the greatest, but its not bad. Maybe a trigger job or aftermarket trigger and possibly a better stock should make that "cheap" S&W shoot with rifles that cost much more. But you will need to invest in those items for most rifles if you want to do well shooting long range. Buy it.

Page generated in 0.02131 seconds with 8 queries