View Single Post
Old July 22, 2012, 06:39 PM   #13
Jim Watson

I think there is entirely too much credit given for special blend powders in factory loads. What I think they are doing is buying bulk lots of powder that may or may not meet cannister specifications for retail sale. They have the equipment to test it. So what if the ammo plant gets a truckload of powder that is, say, Unique chemistry but 12% different in burn rate? They just load it up. As long as they can make the catalog velocity within SAAMI pressure specs, all they care about is getting product on the shelves.

So pull a bullet, weigh the powder, and look in your handbook to see what you can get that gives, in this case, 1150 fps with about that powder charge.

Off the top of my head, I would say Power Pistol. When it came onto the retail market, Alliant advertised they had loaded a billion rounds of 9mm ammunition with it. Does that sound like a special blend?

But there was a guy on this or some gun board who went through a long test program to match his service load. He was more interested in feel than in chronograph readings so his end product may not have been a perfect ballistic match. But it kicked the same and he was happy. I think he used HS6 but since that is a Hodgdon (St Marks) powder, it is probably not what is in your HST.

Page generated in 0.03486 seconds with 8 queries