View Single Post
Old April 19, 2009, 12:13 PM   #23

Yes, it is perfectly legal in Nevada.

I am not sure where you are coming from, but if you are on Highway 160 heading south through Pahrump, in the north end of pahrump turn on Belle Vista Road (the road that goes to Death Valley). Take that road about 5-10 miles (you won't be able to see the town) and there is a "shooting range" on the right side of the road. It is nothing more than some dirt piles that serve as backstops. All the Whiskey Tangos dump trash out there so there is a ton of stuff to shoot at.
I am normally a pretty straight laced shooter. I make every shot count. I have no interest at all in firing a gun just to make a noise. However, shooting at junk is a lot of fun. For me, it isn't to see stuff break or explode is the fact that you can stand there and have an almost infinite number of targets to shoot at. It is up to you how challenging you want to make them. For example: you have a plastic soda bottle at 15 yards. Hitting it is no challenge at all and a waste of ammo. So, you shoot the screw on top off of it. I have spent many a day out there going through a brick of .22s out of handguns. This is plinking, a lost American sport. As Americans become more urbanized and only shoot on designated ranges or even indoors, things like this are quickly dying out.

The reason I specify in Nevada is that you are getting close to kalifornia out there and I doubt that a lot of this stuff would be legal there. I know I was shooting my machinegun, suppressors, ARs and things like that on the dry lake bed just to the west of Pahrump until somebody told me that I was actually in kalifornia which of course was totally illegal. I had no idea. If you don't want to shoot there, make sure you are acutally in Nevada, pull well off the road like out of sight or at least 100 yards off the road well out of town and you should be fine.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03729 seconds with 8 queries