View Single Post
Old October 27, 2012, 09:06 AM   #95
JerryM

I purchased my first gun, a Rem 510, when I was 10. I walked with a friend who was about 12 from Queen City, TX to Atlanta Tx (3mi) by the RR tracks, and bought it for $7.50 from a hardware store. No adult was with me. My grandmother had borrowed the money from a neighbor.
Many boys had a shotgun or .22 by the time they were 12-14.

In that period children did not kill their teachers or school mates for whatever reason, but settled with other boys with fists, and teachers with "Yes maam." The teacher or principal might administer a spanking with a belt or paddle.

But things are not the same now. I don't need any study to tell me that. I recently saw a TV program where youth were playing games. Some were violent.
An 8 year old was asked why he liked to play the games, and his reply was, "Because I get to kill people."

There is a very different mindset today than in my youth, and the movies and games plus the absence of fathers greatly contribute to it. We see the results in the mass shootings and killings of others, and even killing parents and children.

So for that reason I do not object to the age requirements currently in effect.

No need to tell me if a young man is old enough to fight and even die for his country he is old enough to purchase a firearm.
I does not take the same mature judgment to fight as you have been trained and under good leadership, that drinking or owning a gun requires.
Having 28 years of military service, 22 active, does give me some understanding of young men. I realize others of equal or more service might disagree, but that is my view resulting from my personal experience.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Page generated in 0.03571 seconds with 8 queries