View Single Post
Old November 1, 2013, 06:55 PM   #7
rodfac

With due deference to the posters above who posses a wealth of experience with 1911's, I'll offer this. I've owned 1911's in 9mm (3); .38 Super (1), .40 S&W (1), and .45 ACP (9). All were Colts with the exception of 2 Rugers, one Remington Rand, and a Smith & Wesson. Of them all, the .45's were all more accurate out of the box than any other caliber; and that includes that the WWll Remington Rand. With good gun smithing, as Hunter Customs points out, and possibly, a better barrel/bushing than what is usually attached to the as issued piece, the other calibers can be made as accurate....so for me, tho I do like to experiment with the sub-calibers as I prefer to call them, the venerable .45 ACP is the best bet for an accurate, hard hitting defensive gun.

The pic below, posted before, is of a Colt Combat Commander of Series 70 vintage, with add'l barrel/slides in .22 lr, .38 Super, and 9mm. With some tweaking, the 9mm and .38 Super units got close to the .45's grouping....and the .22 lr was its equal. In that pipsqueak caliber, both my Ciener and Marvel units are tack drivers...

HTH's Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.02741 seconds with 8 queries