View Single Post
Old September 11, 2002, 02:56 PM   #21
David Wile

Hey Tbaus,

I also load for auto pistols. Actually, I load for several autos from the little .25 to the 10mm and .45. I also load for a bunch of rifle calibers. I am also familiar with the fact that bullets sometimes make a bulge in the case when loaded - especially in auto cases. In my experience, however, that problem seemed to occur more often with a particular brand of brass which was too thick and required reaming.

I have also noticed that sizing dies can sometimes size a case too far, and, when the bullet is seated, it leaves a bulge. I have one set of dies for the 45-70 that sizes the cases fairly tight, and, when the bullet is seated, it leaves a slight but obvious bulge in the case at the base of the bullet. The bullet, however, is not seated off center. When I use a different set of dies for the 45-70, there is no noticeable bulge. In any case, finished cartridges from both die sets function properly in my 1895 Marlin Cowboy.

If your bullets are being seated off center, you have a problem with your seater die. If, however, your cases are bulging when a properly sized bullet is seated, I would be more suspect of cases with walls which are too thick. I have encountered this problem several times with PMC pistol cases, yet, when I tried a different brand of brass, the problem was not evident.

Yes, I do understand the importance of the feeding function in autoloading pistols, and I can state that all the ammunition I make for my autoloaders functions reliably in my handguns. I use standard dies for all of them, but I insure that my cases and bullets are of proper size and shape to promote a reliably functioning cartridge.

I know folks often speak of the fact that they can crimp their bullets at any place on the bullet when they use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. In fact, they seem very happy about the die having enough force to crimp a jacketed bullet even though it has no cannelure. If that is the case, I submit to you that the very process of using enough force to crimp a bullet where there is no cannelure is in fact swaging that bullet out of its original shape, and that just cannot enhance its performance.

If one states that he cuts a new cannelure on a jacketed bullet with a tool designed to do just that, I can understand how that may be a benefit without changing the shape or size of the bullet. The cutting tool simply cuts a grove in the jacket instead of swaging a groove which has to affect the whole bullet.

To me, using the Lee die to "fix" the problems you have described is not good reloading practice. To me, the Lee "solution" is ignoring the problem and simply covering over the symptoms of the problem.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Page generated in 0.03487 seconds with 8 queries