View Single Post
Old May 27, 2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Slamfire

I do not have a Mini 14. I have match grade AR's. They tend to have tight chambers. I suspect the Mini 14 may have some law suit induced features, such as I found on my Ruger Tactical 308. One of which was a non standard chambering reamer. The chamber neck of my 308 is unusually large. Ruger must have cut an extra large chamber neck to ensure that no one ever had a pinched case neck. It is entirely possible that your semi auto rifle has maybe an extra large neck, maybe an extra large case head section.

What I will say, I use small base dies for as many calibers as I can get dies. The small base dies reduce the case head by .002" (per die manufacturer) more than a standard die. Also my small base dies will shove the shoulder back more than a standard die. Which is fine as it allows me to adjust the die to resize cases fired in balloon size military chambers.

I like small base dies, ammunition sized in these dies have a greater interchangeablity between rifles because the brass is closer to factory dimensions.

Let me recommend a couple of things. Buy whatever die fits your fancy and your wallet. But do buy a Wilson type cartridge headspace gage. Go to this web page to see what I am talking about. . http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar46.htm

Size your cartridges to gage minimum and you will not have any chambering problems, or case head seperation problems, assuming your rifle headspace is good. Since your rifle is a factory Ruger, the headspace will be correct.

Page generated in 0.03103 seconds with 8 queries