View Single Post
Old January 16, 2012, 04:39 PM   #15
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog235
Funny thing, a lot of people wanting to gun for hogs want a huge caliber and much more powere than they need. Most of these boys I know want a good brace of dogs and a good sharp knife for the close in work. I'll take a pistol or shotgun.
Hunting with dogs has fallen out of favor in most of our local woods. Back in the early '80s I was hunting with a bunch of guys who used dogs and followed on horseback. Lots of fun to follow the dogs on a horse. The most senior of the hunters used a Winchester 94 in .22 magnum and never had any trouble dropping his hog.

The biggest hog I ever killed I shot with a .22LR. He surprised me in the garden, so I grabbed a .22 and shot him between the eyes. He folded up like a cheap pocketknife. Then I had to get the lawn tractor and drag him out of the garden. Field dressed him at over 300 lbs. I suspect that he was someone's domestic hog who had gotten loose, but even after several weeks, no one had come asking about an errant hog. We ate from that pig for several months.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03442 seconds with 8 queries