View Single Post
Old August 1, 2014, 07:49 PM   #55
barnbwt

Quote:
The fact that the Carcanos you have seen and deem all "junk" due to well-used wood, et. al. would tell me that these guns have had a long and very hard service life. Hardly the hallmark of a POS.
And yet the 'cream' of the WWII-era bolt rifles, the (unissued) Swedes and K31, saw no service if I am not mistaken . Things that make you wonder...

I personally ponder whether or not a lot of these 'odd' gun types that are so maligned in the states are such because of poor ammo selection. By which I mean that people shot 'standard' size bullets of approximately the right size from rifles ill suited to them for lack of any other projectiles. If you have a .312 bore and nothing but .308 bullets to play with, and little to no scientific background to fall back on (which Bubba does not have), you might well conclude the cartridge is inherently inaccurate

Quote:
one would wonder why they continued to not use standardized bullet diameters.
Because they already had massive state-run/licensed factories producing umpteen millions of rounds. Why didn't we get with the (eventual) program and adopt 276 Pedersen, or at the very least, full power 30-06 for WWII? Logisitics.

Quote:
would hardly call that LONG before anyone else. true they were the first.
A few years of nation-level ballistics development and industrial espionage is more than enough time to perfect and optimize a break-through tech as simple as a small-bore bottleneck cartridge. During that smokeless transition period, things were moving really fast, so it's not surprising that something as brilliant as 6.5x55 would be developed through refinement but a few years later.

As far as 7.5x55; I'm convinced there was alien intervention involved in its development, since it was one of the earliest cartridges of its class, and has remained for 115 years very close to an optimum design for slinging a 30cal projectile of that class. To be fair, 7.5 Swiss was not perfected until 1911 when it became fully smokeless. I suspect the Italians were as late to the game as they were because they had more recently upgraded their ammo selection with the 6.5; 40 years isn't exactly out of the ordinary for a cartridge choice that doesn't have anything inherently wrong with it (even if it might not be the 'optimum' design solution) --just look at 30-06 and 45acp

TCB

Page generated in 0.03543 seconds with 8 queries